A People of pilgrimage, a place of hospitality. This was the vision of a reordered and reimagined space which led to the biggest change to St Philip and St James’ Church since it was first built in 1882.
For over sixteen years we, as a congregation, dreamt of creating a more flexible space, in service of our local community. Now it is a reality.
The vision was for a church that would be open and busy seven days a week with church services and events, as well as community groups, meetings and celebrations.
The focus was on enriching the life of our local community and offer a range of opportunities for people of all ages to wonder, reflect, pray and connect with a worshipping community committed to faith, hope and love.
Improved facilities for disabled access, sound, light and hospitality were also key to the plans. This included a servery and an attractive shared green space combining car and bike parking, with space for people to gather, relax and socialise.
Most of the costs of the £3 million cost of this project has been met by the Church and its congregation. We also acknowledge, with thanks, grants pledged by the following trusts: